Moscow as the Third Rome, Redefining the European Centre
- Datum: 10 oktober, kl. 13.15–15.00
- Plats: Blåsenhus Room 12:004
- Föreläsare: Dr James White, PhD
- Arrangör: Teologiska fakulteten och Euroculture
- Kontaktperson: Lars Löfquist
Within this lecture, we will follow and analyse the emergence of national and theological
discourses in Russia that sought to place various iterations of the Russian state, church and nation both spatially and ideologically at the centre of European and world history.
Examining varied sources ranging from late medieval prophecies to Muscovite maps to the writings of some of Russia's most famous novelists, we will come to understand how feelings
of inferiority and an awareness of peripheral status continue to define both Russia's approach
to itself and the West even today.